Jim O’Keefe, a project controller from Leicestershire, lost over 5st with the Hairy Bikers Diet Club!* As a result, he no longer needs to take any insulin for his diabetes and will go into a sauna with confidence. Read his inspiring weight loss story…
Jim realised he needed to lose weight because his health was starting to deteriorate. “I’m diabetic and was always being told by the doctors to get healthier as I was getting worse each year and they said that it would eventually catch up with me.”
“I also have a photo from a couple of years ago of my dad, my two sons and I, and I look so fat. My dad passed away last year so it’s a photo that can never be taken again. Now it sits on my window sill as a reminder, I’m not going back there. I knew I needed to sort myself out.”
He admits he has tried other diets, but the strict regime did not work for him. “I didn’t and still don’t need to go on a diet. I just needed to change my diet for proper food and the right portions, which is what the Hairy Bikers Diet Club is all about.”
Before he lost the weight Jim was reliant on medication. “I was taking 200ml of insulin a day and it was having no effect. Plus all sorts of other pills! Now due to the weight loss I’m not on any insulin or pills. It’s a big change!”
“I was taking 200ml of insulin a day and it was having no effect. Plus all sorts of pills! Now due to the weight loss I’m not on any insulin or pills. It’s a big change!”
What advice would he have for people thinking about starting the weight loss journey? “Do it for yourself. Weigh every week no matter what and you must do the diary. Get into it and just be totally honest.
Starting your weight loss journey
- Do things you can stick to. Many of these changes you will discover as you go through it. We’re all different, so if it works for you then do it. It’s no good doing it for the first few weeks, these are changes we need to do for decades so do things you can stick at!
- Get a George Foreman grill. Cook as much as you can in it and watch the fat drip out.
- Do things you wouldn’t do when you started out. For me a sauna in my trunks, going into a shop that everyone else uses and buying off the peg at the front of the rack not fighting for the xxxl at the back.
- Treat yourself to something, but not too much. The 36 inch jeans I was so pleased to buy are now a big result!
On dealing with challenges
- You are doing this for you no one else, what other people think really doesn’t matter!
- Read the poem by Jenny Josephs, ‘Warning‘.
*Results May Vary: Causes for being overweight or obese vary from person to person. Whether genetic or environmental, it should be noted that food intake, rates of metabolism and levels of exercise and physical exertion vary from person to person. This means weight loss results will also vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as typical.
Any changes to medication should always be made in consultation with your GP.