If you’ve got a desire to lose weight and achieve better health, but have niggling thoughts about why this cannot happen, we want to help. It’s easy to say, ‘I can’t’ instead of ‘I can’, but often, the things we tell ourselves are riddled with myths and ultimately designed to stop you from trying in the first place. We know that dieting can be daunting, so let’s address some of these common unwanted thoughts and find a way past each of them:
- I’m too old, my body won’t shift weight like it used to.
An inevitability of life is that, with age, your body will change. Whether it comes in the form of grey hairs, laughter lines or a slightly saggy middle, the impact of such changes varies from person to person. Some view physical changes as a welcome milestone, whereas others feel disheartened by them. And there is, of course, the changes you can’t see. For example, the majority of arthritic conditions develop at the age of 40-50, which can make exercise difficult and therefore facilitates weight gain.
Multiple biological factors can impact your ability to shift weight in older age, including a decrease in the quantity of sex hormones in your body, a natural shift in metabolism and, of course, an increase in the risk of developing other conditions which can have secondary effects on your weight.
However, this doesn’t mean losing weight is impossible. It just means you need to lose weight smartly. Here’s some tips:
- Join a gentle walking group. Walking burns calories, increases your overall fitness and gives you an opportunity to meet others and socialise. You can even take a camera and turn it into a walking-photography session! If you prefer to walk alone, you can download an audiobook to keep you company during your stroll.
- Try Tai Chi. This gentle exercise improves muscle strength which helps to keep you stable and less likely to have a fall. It also burns upwards of 200 calories per hour and doesn’t feel strenuous.
- If you find it difficult to leave the house, try chair exercises. The Hairy Bikers Diet Club Senior Strength Program gives you customised exercises that will help you to achieve maximum benefit and fantastic overall fitness, many of which you can do from your living room.
- I’m too embarrassed to go to a gym.
Gym-phobia is more common than you think. Up to 75% of surveyed women said they’d like to exercise more but are worried about the gym, and in a separate survey, half of those affected state they avoid the gym because they’re embarrassed to be seen in Lycra! We know this feeling, and the good news is, there are several ways around it. Here’s what you need to remember:
- If you do summon the courage to visit your local gym, three-quarters of those around you are probably just as self-conscious as you are. Yet, you’re not judging them, so why assume they’re judging you?
- Each gym offers an induction, which teaches you to use the equipment properly. It’s important you use this induction because not only will it make your workout more effective but will save you the embarrassment of getting tangled up in a machine!
- Many gyms offer classes which can be more appealing to shy dieters. You might be able to find a same-sex class if you would rather not exercise in a mixed environnment, and classes are often separated into beginner or expert levels so that you’re amongst people of a similar fitness level.
- If you really can’t muster the courage to join the gym, there are plenty of alternatives, many of which are cheaper! Walking, swimming, cycling, hiking and home-based weight training can be enjoyed on your own or with a group of friends. When you join The Hairy Bikers Diet Club, we give you lots of tips and advice on the best ways to exercise away from the gym, as well as lifestyle advice to help maximise your weight loss.
- I don’t have time to cook, so I have no choice but to eat fast food.
One of the greatest myths in dieting is that there’s no time to do it ‘well’. A busy schedule, long working hours and unmoveable commitments can cause many people to order a takeaway or swing by a convenience garage in a desperate attempt to eat something rather than nothing. But it doesn’t need to be this way! Here’s what you can do:
- Buy a slow cooker and/or pressure cooker to cut out cooking time. Slow cookers can be set throughout the day, meaning your meal is ready by the time you arrive home. Pressure cookers cut cooking time by up to 50%!
- Become smart about snacking. Carry with you a salty and sweet healthy snack at all times to ensure you don’t become excessively hungry very quickly. When we are hungry and don’t have anything to munch, we are much more likely to opt for fast food.
- Incorporate exercise into your existing routine. For example, if you catch the bus to work, get off a stop early and walk the rest of the way. If you have an opportunity to stand instead of sitting, use it! Use your lunch breaks to take a walk around the block, or create a home-based fitness routine to complete while watching TV or listening to the radio.
When it comes to losing weight, whatever it is you’re worrying about, we can assure you that there’s a way past it. More often than not, these niggling thoughts sprout from an underlying fear of change, and an even more profound fear of trying and failing. But no matter how old you are, what your background is or what your current routine looks like, know that losing weight is a possibility. Join The Hairy Bikers Diet Club today to discover the program that’s just right for you.