- 200g fresh spinach leaves
- 250g unsalted mixed nuts
- 25g of unsalted cashew nuts
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 200g tinned tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 50g sundried tomatoes in olive oil, roughly chopped
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 100g Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1½ tbsp freshly chopped curly parsley
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp vegetable stock concentrate
- Sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Knob of butter for greasing tin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 banana (long) shallot, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 250g wild mushrooms
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Blanch the spinach in boiling water, then drain it well and squeeze out all the water. Chop the spinach finely and set aside.
- Put the mixed nuts and cashews in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped, but take care not to reduce them to powder.
- Tip the nuts into a large mixing bowl and add the onion, carrot, tinned and sundried tomatoes, egg, cheese, sage, mint, parsley, spinach, garlic, stock and seasoning, then mix everything together well.
- Grease a loaf tin with butter and pour in the mixture. Cut a piece of greaseproof paper to fit the loaf tin, grease it and lay it over the top to stop it burning. Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour until the nut roast is cooked through. Turn it out onto a plate for slicing.
- While the nut roast is cooking, make the mushroom gravy. Gently heat the oil and knob of butter in a medium pan, then add the diced shallot. Sweat for five minutes or until transparent. Add the garlic and sweat for wo minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook gently for a further five minutes.
- Add the stock and soy sauce, then season to taste and simmer with the lid on the pan for 10 minutes.
- Mix the tablespoon of flour into the tablespoon of butter and stir into the gravy to thicken it. Serve piping hot with the nut roast.
TIME TO SHED SOME TIMBER?
If this has inspired you to shed some timber then why not head over to our Weight Loss Calculator. Step on those scales and then pop your details into our Weight Loss Calculator. We’ll let you know how we can help.