- Self-raising flour, white, 175 g, or wholemeal
- Baking powder, 0.5 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon, 0.5 teaspoon, optional
- Egg, white, 2 whites
- Castor sugar, 1 tablespoon
- Semi-skimmed milk, 225 ml
- Banana, 1 medium, ripe
- Sunflower oil, 1 teaspoon, for frying
- Mixed berries, fresh, 1 serve (80g per serve), e.g. raspberries, blueberries, redcurrants, strawberries
- Golden syrup, pouring, 4 teaspoons, or agave syrup or honey
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, if using, into a large bowl. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff but not dry and whisk in the caster sugar.
- Stir the milk slowly and gradually into the flour mixture, then beat hard with a metal whisk to get rid of any lumps. Peel the banana, cut it in half lengthways, then into thin slices. Stir the banana slices into the pancake batter.
- Fold a quarter of the whisked egg whites into the pancake batter with a large metal spoon until evenly combined, then very gently fold in the rest. You want to try to keep as much air in the pancakes as possible, so they are light and fluffy when you cook them.
- Brush a large non-stick frying pan with a little oil and place it over a medium-high heat. Add 4 large spoonfuls of the pancake batter to the pan, spacing them well apart.
- Cook the pancakes for 1½ –2 minutes on one side, until the surface looks almost dry and you can see small air bubbles rising to the surface. Flip the pancakes over and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes until they’re puffed up and lightly browned.
- Pop the pancakes on to a plate and keep them warm while you cook the rest in the same way. Serve the hot pancakes with lots of fresh berries and just a dribble of agave syrup, honey or golden syrup.
TIME TO SHED SOME TIMBER?
If this has inspired you to shed some timber then why not head over to our Weight Loss Calculator. Step on those scales and then pop your details into our Weight Loss Calculator. We’ll let you know how we can help.