This hearty soup is packed full of vitamins and minerals.
- Olive oil spray, 1 spray
- Dried cumin seeds, 4 teaspoons
- Ginger, fresh, 1 tablespoon, peeled and chopped
- Onion, 1 medium, peeled and diced
- Carrot, 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- Butternut squash, 360g
- Dried split red lentils, 145g
- Vegetable stock, salt reduced, prepared as directed, 1.5 litres
- Salt, 1 pinch, or to taste
- Black pepper, ground, 1 pinch, or to taste
- Chickpeas, canned, drained, 145g
- Honey, 1 teaspoon
- Natural yogurt, low fat, 4 tablespoons, to serve
- Coriander, 3 sprigs, chopped (optional)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Lightly spray with olive oil spray and add the cumin seeds, ginger and onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, adding a dash of water to help soften the onion. Add the carrot, butternut squash, lentils, stock and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in the chickpeas and honey. Using a stick blender, blend the soup until thick and smooth.
- Divide soup among serving bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon of yogurt and sprinkle over coriander leaves (if using).
Ultimate guide to freezing
Home late, cupboards bare and can’t be bothered to cook? Get tips and tricks on freezing and defrosting homemade meals, for healthy food in a flash. Click below!