CATEGORY Main Meals (Dinners)
PREPARATION TIME 20 minutes
COOKING TIME 60 minutes
- Beef mince, extra lean, 1 500g pack
- Onion, 2 medium, chopped
- Garlic, 3 cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Chilli powder, 2 teaspoons, to taste
- Ground cumin, 2 teaspoons
- Dried coriander seeds, 2 teaspoons, ground
- Plain flour, white, 2 tablespoons
- Red wine, 150 ml, or extra stock
- Beef stock cube, 1 6g cube, made up with 300ml water
- Chopped tomatoes, canned, in juice, 1 400g can
- Red kidney beans, canned, drained, 1 400g can, rinsed
- Tomato puree, 3 tablespoons
- Castor sugar, 1 teaspoon
- Dried oregano, ground, 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaves, 1 leaf
- Sea salt, 1 pinch
- Black pepper, ground, 1 pinch
- Place a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat and add the beef and onions. Cook together for 5 minutes, stirring the beef and squishing it against the sides of the pan to break up the lumps. Add the garlic, 1–2 teaspoons of chilli powder, depending on how hot you like your chilli, and the cumin and coriander. Fry together for 1–2 minutes more. Sprinkle over the flour and stir well.
- Slowly add the wine and then the stock, stirring constantly. Tip the tomatoes and kidney beans into the pan and stir in the tomato purée, caster sugar, oregano and bay leaf. Season with a pinch of salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer on the hob, then cover loosely with a lid. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mince is tender and the sauce is thick. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve.