This is another fantastic recipe that was sent in for our Hairy Dieters recipe competition. It was conjured up by Aoife Neville and here's how she came up with this delicious creation.
"This recipe came about in a desperate attempt to use up a glut of courgettes that I’d had at the end of the summer last year. I hope you enjoy it."
- 400g puy or brown lentils
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 courgettes, diced
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 400g can of tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 80g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks
- Soak the lentils overnight, then drain, put them in a pan of clean water and boil for about 20 minutes or until cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a separate pan and sweat the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until soft.
- Add the courgettes and aubergine and cook until golden, then add the canned tomatoes and cooked lentils. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the carrots and aubergines are tender, then stir in the dried oregano and take the pan off the heat.
- Meanwhile, boil the sweet potato until soft, then drain and mash.
- Transfer the lentils and veg to a pie dish, top with mashed sweet potato and liberally cover with grated cheese. Pop under a preheated grill to brown, then serve.
TIME TO SHED SOME TIMBER?
If this has inspired you to shed some timber then why not head over to our Weight Loss Calculator. Step on those scales and then pop your details into our Weight Loss Calculator. We’ll let you know how we can help.