Meatballs have never tasted so delicious, nor been so nutritious, as this homemade variety.
- Minced beef, stewed, extra lean, 350 g
- Black pepper, ground, 1 pinch(s) , season to taste
- Sea salt, 1 pinch(s) , season to taste
- Dried chilli powder, 0.5 teaspoon(s)
- Thyme, fresh, 2 teaspoon(s) , finely chopped
- Rosemary, 2 teaspoon(s) , finely chopped
- Egg, whole, 1 medium
- Olive oil, 0.5 teaspoon(s)
- Onion, 0.5 medium , diced
- Garlic, 2 clove(s) , crushed
- Tomato puree, 2 teaspoon(s)
- Chopped tomatoes, canned, in juice, 1 400g can(s)
- Castor sugar, 0.5 teaspoon(s)
- Basil, fresh, 0.25 bunch(s)
- Pasta, uncooked, 40 g
- French beans, 1 medium serve(s) (90g per serve) , sliced into strips
- Asparagus, 5 spear(s) , sliced into strips
- Courgette, 1 medium , sliced into strips
- In a bowl, mix together the beef mince, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, thyme, rosemary and egg to create the meatball mixture. Mix well to combine and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick fry pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and sugar and cook for another 8-10 minutes, or until the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce has thickened. Add in half the basil leaves, along with 200mls of water, and turn the sauce down to a very gentle simmer.
- Remove the meatball mix from the refrigerator. Using clean hands, roll the mince into small meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each. Gently stir the meatballs into the sauce, cover and leave to cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the spaghetti into a pot of boiling, salted water and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until just nearly done. Add in the prepared vegetables, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Drain the spaghetti and vegetables and divide into serving bowls. Top with the spiced meatballs and sauce, and scatter over the remaining basil leaves.
TIME TO SHED SOME TIMBER?
If this has inspired you to shed some timber then why not head over to our Weight Loss Calculator. Step on those scales and then pop your details into our Weight Loss Calculator. We’ll let you know how we can help.